The motherland of Salavat Ulaev has celebrated its 70th jubilee
70 years ago Maloyazovsky region of Bashkiria – the motherland of the national Bashkir hero Salavat Ulaev — was named after its famous compatriot. Since March 4, 1941, the region is called Salavatsky.
In the epoch of Salavat Ulaev the territory of the present Salavatsky region was found in the staff of Orenburg province and Ufimsky province was separated fr om it in 1781. After liquidation of the provinces in 1922 and delim itation of the Republican territory on eight cantons the present Salavatsky region and the adjacent regions were included into the staff of Mesyagutovsky canton. The present system of the Republican territorial structure was introduced in 1930. Bashkiria was divided in 48 regions and the territory of Salavatsky region turned out to be in the staff of Verhne-Kiginsky region. After the change of the regional borders Maloyazovsky region has appeared in 1938.
In parallel with these reforms the local intellectuals went on promoting the idea to call this territory after Salavat Ulaev. The proposals to rename Mesyagutovsky canton into Salavatsky were especially numerous in 1924. But the all these appeals were rejected by the Presidium of the all-Russian Central Executive Committee and the question concerning perpetuation of Salavat Ulaev’s memory wasn’t solved in the 20s. Bashkir authorities have managed to do it only in March 1941.
At present time plenty of the memorable places, concerned with the name of Salavat Ulaev, are still present on the territory of the region: the Idrisovskaya Cave, the landscape near the village Tikeevo, the village Shaganay and the cave on the peak Misher-Kashi. All these objects are opened for tourists.
Salavatsky region is also famous with the Salavat Ulaev’s museum and with the monuments of nature, such as the mineral spring Kurgazak and the peak Yangantau.