Foundation of the Church to All Sorrows is discovered in the center of Ufa
Foundation of the Church to All Sorrows, erected in 1907, is discovered in the park behind the Ufa Youth Palace, participants of the project “Architectural Protection of Ufa” reported in social networks.
“The apses – the altar ledges, the foundation of the altar and a part of the communion table are preserved quite well” – the project’s curator Vladimir Zakharov reported to the news agency “Bashinform” – “We’ve also discovered a grave and it is expected that one of the church’s priests was buried there”.
According to M-r Zakharov construction of the church started in 1900. The means for its erection were allocated by the merchant Basil Nesterov and the town council – 1000 and 600 rubles correspondingly. Construction has been completed in 1907. The exact layout of the church isn’t preserved but on the photographs, made by German spy plane, one can see that the church had five domes and eight bells. According to some sources their total weight made up more than 750 kilograms. In 1933 the church had been destroyed and during the Great Patriotic War its foundation was leveled to the ground.
Town authorities intend to erect a chapel on the place of former Church to All Sorrows according to the project of Leonid Dubinski. But after discovery of the old church’s foundation specialists of local lore and historians suggest that the chapel should be relocated slightly to the west from the original site.
“Erection of the chapel has nothing to do with the layout of the Church to All Sorrows” – Vladimir Zakharov said – “According to the project the new chapel will have an underground floor and for its construction it is necessary to go deep into the ground at eight meters. In such case the museum object will be irrevocably lost for the history”.