Kazan Church will be restored in Sterlitamac
The Kazan Church, which was destroyed in Soviet times and once considered the biggest church in the town, is planned to be restored in Sterlitamac. The Ufa eparchy press-service reports the question concerning restoration of the church was under discussion during the meeting of the Sterlitamac Mayor with the Archbishop of Ufa and Sterlitamac Nikon.
The church in the honor of Kazan Godmother Icon had been erected in 1806 on the place of the first wooden church in Sterlitamac, founded in 1789. 30 years later the wooden church’s building had burnt down and it was decided to erect the brick one on its place. The project of the new church’s variant was approved by the Emperor Nikolai the First in 1836. The construction of the new church has been over in 1864. It had five gilded domes, crowned with the silver crosses and the four-bell tower. The church was surrounded with the cast-iron patterned fence and could be clearly seen from any point of the town.
In Soviet times the church has been destroyed as well as many other Russian churches. In 1929 it was closed and destroyed in 1937. At present time there is nothing left of this monument of architecture except some photos and the park by Kirov is located on the place of the former church’s square. But the citizens of Sterlitamac want to return the former point of interest to their town.